Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
My research lies at the intersection of surface and colloid science, polymer materials engineering, and biointerface science, with four central areas of focus: 1. Fabrication, manipulation and characterization of stimulus-responsive biomolecular and bio-inspired polymeric nanostructures on surfaces; 2. Nanotechnology of soft-wet materials and hybrid biological/non-biological microdevices; 3. Receptor-ligand interactions relevant to the diagnostics of infectious diseases; 4. Friction of soft-wet materials, specifically the role of glycoproteins on friction in diarthroidal joints. These four broad lines of inquiry deal with fundamental behaviors of soft-wet materials on surfaces and interfaces. The design and fabrication of these interfaces using "smart" polymeric and biomolecular nanostructures, and the characterization of the resulting structures, are critically important for the development of biomolecular sensors and devices and for bioinspired materials. Key approaches and tools I use in my research are: bottom-up organization on the molecular scale, through self-assembly, in-situ polymerization, and manipulation of intermolecular interactions; topdown fabrication, through scanning probe nanolithography; stimulus-responsive polymers; molecular recognition; and new approaches to sensing and manipulation. This research supports Duke's Pratt School of Engineering strategic initiative to expand research in soft-wet Materials Science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 3385 Fciemas Building, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5360
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1999
- M.S. Oregon State University, 1992
Nano-mechanical and nano-tribological characterization (elasticity, friction, adhesion) of materials including organic thin films; self-assembled monolayers, polymeric gels, and cellulosics; Fabrication of polymeric nanostructures by scanning probe lithography; Colloidal probe and atomic force microscopy; Single molecule force spectroscopy applied to ligand-receptor binding; Biomolecular nano- and micro-sensors
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- ICCES Young Investigator Award. International Center for Computational Engineering Sciences. 2008
- Bronze Award for Scientific Achievement. 26th Army Science Conference, U.S. Army Research. 2008
- Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Nanomedicine. 2005
- Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2003
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2003
- Faculty Enhancement Award. Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2001
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 529: Theoretical and Applied Polymer Science (GE, BB)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 514: Theoretical and Applied Polymer Science (GE, BB)
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- Walkowiak, J; Lu, Y; Gradzielski, M; Zauscher, S; Ballauff, M, Thermodynamic Analysis of the Uptake of a Protein in a Spherical Polyelectrolyte Brush., Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol 41 no. 1 (2020) [10.1002/marc.201900421] [abs].
- Eldridge, WJ; Ceballos, S; Shah, T; Park, HS; Steelman, ZA; Zauscher, S; Wax, A, Shear Modulus Measurement by Quantitative Phase Imaging and Correlation with Atomic Force Microscopy., Biophysical Journal, vol 117 no. 4 (2019), pp. 696-705 [10.1016/j.bpj.2019.07.008] [abs].
- Navarro, LA; Enciso, AE; Matyjaszewski, K; Zauscher, S, Enzymatically Degassed Surface-Initiated Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization with Real-Time Monitoring., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 141 no. 7 (2019), pp. 3100-3109 [10.1021/jacs.8b12072] [abs].
- Deshpande, S; Yang, Y; Chilkoti, A; Zauscher, S, Enzymatic synthesis and modification of high molecular weight DNA using terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase., vol 627 (2019), pp. 163-188 [10.1016/bs.mie.2019.07.044] [abs].
- Navarro, LA; French, DL; Zauscher, S, Advances in mucin mimic synthesis and applications in surface science, Current Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science, vol 38 (2018), pp. 122-134 [10.1016/j.cocis.2018.09.004] [abs].