Sternberg Family Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
My research lies at the intersection of surface and colloid science, polymer materials engineering, and biointerface science, with four central areas of focus: 1. Fabrication, manipulation and characterization of stimulus-responsive biomolecular and bio-inspired polymeric nanostructures on surfaces; 2. Nanotechnology of soft-wet materials and hybrid biological/non-biological microdevices; 3. Receptor-ligand interactions relevant to the diagnostics of infectious diseases; 4. Friction of soft-wet materials, specifically the role of glycoproteins on friction in diarthroidal joints. These four broad lines of inquiry deal with fundamental behaviors of soft-wet materials on surfaces and interfaces. The design and fabrication of these interfaces using "smart" polymeric and biomolecular nanostructures, and the characterization of the resulting structures, are critically important for the development of biomolecular sensors and devices and for bioinspired materials. Key approaches and tools I use in my research are: bottom-up organization on the molecular scale, through self-assembly, in-situ polymerization, and manipulation of intermolecular interactions; topdown fabrication, through scanning probe nanolithography; stimulus-responsive polymers; molecular recognition; and new approaches to sensing and manipulation. This research supports Duke's Pratt School of Engineering strategic initiative to expand research in soft-wet Materials Science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Sternberg Family Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5360
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1999
- M.S. Oregon State University, 1992
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- ICCES Young Investigator Award. International Center for Computational Engineering Sciences. 2008
- NSF Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2008
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities Faculty Enhancement Award. Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2008
- Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Nanomedicine. 2008
- Bronze Award for Scientific Achievement. 26th Army Science Conference, U.S. Army Research. 2008
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 529: Theoretical and Applied Polymer Science (GE, BB)
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 514: Theoretical and Applied Polymer Science (GE, BB)
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- Du, K-Z; Tu, Q; Zhang, X; Han, Q; Liu, J; Zauscher, S; Mitzi, DB, Two-Dimensional Lead(II) Halide-Based Hybrid Perovskites Templated by Acene Alkylamines: Crystal Structures, Optical Properties, and Piezoelectricity., Inorganic Chemistry, vol 56 no. 15 (2017), pp. 9291-9302 [10.1021/acs.inorgchem.7b01094] [abs].
- Tang, L; Navarro, LA; Chilkoti, A; Zauscher, S, High-Molecular-Weight Polynucleotides by Transferase-Catalyzed Living Chain-Growth Polycondensation., Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol 56 no. 24 (2017), pp. 6778-6782 [10.1002/anie.201700991] [abs].
- Tu, Q; Kim, HS; Oweida, TJ; Parlak, Z; Yingling, YG; Zauscher, S, Interfacial Mechanical Properties of Graphene on Self-Assembled Monolayers: Experiments and Simulations., ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol 9 no. 11 (2017), pp. 10203-10213 [10.1021/acsami.6b16593] [abs].
- Rastogi, SK; Anderson, HE; Lamas, J; Barret, S; Cantu, T; Zauscher, S; Brittain, WJ; Betancourt, T, Enhanced Release of Molecules upon Ultraviolet (UV) Light Irradiation from Photoresponsive Hydrogels Prepared from Bifunctional Azobenzene and Four-Arm Poly(ethylene glycol)., ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces (2017) [10.1021/acsami.6b16183] [abs].
- Feng, Y; Ngaboyamahina, E; Marusak, KE; Cao, Y; You, L; Glass, JT; Zauscher, S, Hybrid (Organic/Inorganic) Electrodes from Bacterially Precipitated CdS for PEC/Storage Applications, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol 121 no. 7 (2017), pp. 3734-3743 [10.1021/acs.jpcc.6b11387] [abs].