Professor of Biomedical Engineering
The You lab uses a combination of mathematical modeling, machine learning, and quantitative experiments to elucidate principles underlying the dynamics of microbial communities in time and space and to control these dynamics for applications in computation, engineering, and medicine.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Office Location: 2355 CIEMAS, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8408
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 2002
- M.S. University of Science and Technology of China (China), 1997
- B.S.E. Chengdu University of Science and Technology (China), 1994
Quantitative biology, synthetic biology, machine learning, antibiotic resistance, microbiome
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2010
- Fellowships for Science and Engineering. David and Lucile Packard Foundation. 2006
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 574: Modeling and Engineering Gene Circuits (GE, MC)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- CBB 574: Modeling and Engineering Gene Circuits (GE, MC)
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- MGM 293: Research Independent Study I
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 394: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 493: Research Independent Study
- Kim, K; You, L, Bacterial Aggregation Leads to Collective Elimination., Trends in Microbiology (2020) [10.1016/j.tim.2019.12.001] [abs].
- Zhu, K; Chen, S; Sysoeva, TA; You, L, Universal antibiotic tolerance arising from antibiotic-triggered accumulation of pyocyanin in Pseudomonas aeruginosa., Plos Biology, vol 17 no. 12 (2019) [10.1371/journal.pbio.3000573] [abs].
- Lopatkin, AJ; Stokes, JM; Zheng, EJ; Yang, JH; Takahashi, MK; You, L; Collins, JJ, Bacterial metabolic state more accurately predicts antibiotic lethality than growth rate., Nature Microbiology, vol 4 no. 12 (2019), pp. 2109-2117 [10.1038/s41564-019-0536-0] [abs].
- Tsoi, R; Dai, Z; You, L, Emerging strategies for engineering microbial communities., Biotechnology Advances, vol 37 no. 6 (2019) [10.1016/j.biotechadv.2019.03.011] [abs].
- Dai, Z; Lee, AJ; Roberts, S; Sysoeva, TA; Huang, S; Dzuricky, M; Yang, X; Zhang, X; Liu, Z; Chilkoti, A; You, L, Versatile biomanufacturing through stimulus-responsive cell-material feedback., Nature Chemical Biology, vol 15 no. 10 (2019), pp. 1017-1024 [10.1038/s41589-019-0357-8] [abs].