Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
In the News
- Organ-on-a-chip: Better Health Care Through Superior Drug Testing (Nov 24, 2021 | Duke Science & Technology)
- Soft Robotic Dragonfly Signals Environmental Disruptions (Mar 25, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- A Crystal Ball for the Decade Ahead (Jan 9, 2020)
- Engineering a Better Bandage to Promote Faster Healing (Dec 13, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Big Ideas on a Small Chip Surface (Nov 1, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Researchers ID Pharmaceutical Target That Reverses Osteoporosis in Mice (Aug 22, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Rana, I; Kataria, S; Tan, TL; Hajam, EY; Kashyap, DK; Saha, D; Ajnabi, J; Paul, S; Jayappa, S; Ananthan, ASHP; Kumar, P; Zaarour, RF; Haarshaadri, J; Kansagara, G; Rizvi, A; Zirmire, RK; Badarinath, K; Khedkar, SU; Chandra, Y; Samuel, R; George, R; Danda, D; Jacob, PM; Dey, R; Dhandapany, PS; He, Y-W; Varga, J; Varghese, S; Jamora, C, Mindin (SPON2) Is Essential for Cutaneous Fibrogenesis in a Mouse Model of Systemic Sclerosis., J Invest Dermatol, vol 143 no. 5 (2023), pp. 699-710.e10 [10.1016/j.jid.2022.10.011] [abs].
- Kumar, V; Kingsley, D; Madhurakkat Perikamana, S; Mogha, P; Goodwin, CR; Varghese, S, Self-assembled innervated vasculature-on-a-chip to study nociception., Biofabrication, vol 15 no. 3 (2023) [10.1088/1758-5090/acc904] [abs].
- Newman, H; Varghese, S, Extracellular adenosine signaling in bone health and disease., Curr Opin Pharmacol, vol 70 (2023) [10.1016/j.coph.2023.102378] [abs].
- Yang, T; Velagapudi, R; Kong, C; Ko, U; Kumar, V; Brown, P; Franklin, NO; Zhang, X; Caceres, AI; Min, H; Filiano, AJ; Rodriguiz, RM; Wetsel, WC; Varghese, S; Terrando, N, Protective effects of omega-3 fatty acids in a blood-brain barrier-on-chip model and on postoperative delirium-like behaviour in mice., Bja: British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol 130 no. 2 (2023), pp. e370-e380 [10.1016/j.bja.2022.05.025] [abs].
- Hoque, J; Zeng, Y; Newman, H; Gonzales, G; Lee, C; Varghese, S, Microgel-Assisted Delivery of Adenosine to Accelerate Fracture Healing., Acs Biomaterials Science & Engineering, vol 8 no. 11 (2022), pp. 4863-4872 [10.1021/acsbiomaterials.2c00977] [abs].