George A. Truskey
R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering
My research interests focus upon the effect of physical forces on the function of vascular cells and skeletal muscle, cell adhesion, and the design of engineered tissues. Current research projects examine the effect of endothelial cell senescence upon permeability to macromolecules and the response to fluid shear stress, the development of microphysiological blood vessels and muscles for evaluation of drug toxicity and the design of engineered endothelialized blood vessels and skeletal muscle bundles.
Appointments and Affiliations
- R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Senior Associate Dean in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 1395 Fciemas, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5147
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985
- B.S.E. University of Pennsylvania, 1979
Cardiovascular tissue engineering, mechanisms of atherogenesis, cell adhesion, and cell biomechanics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 2015
- AAAS Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2014
- BMES Distinguished Service Award. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2012
- NIH CSR College of Reviewers. NIH. 2010
- Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising. Duke University. 2007
- Fellow. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2006
- Fellow. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
- Fellow. Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, American Heart Association. 1999
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Tau Beta Pi, North Carolina Gamma Chapter. 1998
- Outstanding Scientific Paper in the Journal of Parenteral Science and Technology. Parenteral Drug Association. 1987
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 566: Transport Phenomena in Cells and Organs (GE, MC)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- Salmon, EE; Breithaupt, JJ; Truskey, GA, Application of Oxidative Stress to a Tissue-Engineered Vascular Aging Model Induces Endothelial Cell Senescence and Activation., Cells, vol 9 no. 5 (2020) [10.3390/cells9051292] [abs].
- Kondash, ME; Ananthakumar, A; Khodabukus, A; Bursac, N; Truskey, GA, Glucose Uptake and Insulin Response in Tissue-engineered Human Skeletal Muscle., Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (2020) [10.1007/s13770-020-00242-y] [abs].
- Truskey, GA; Fu, J, The future of biomedical engineering: Bioengineering of organoids and tissue development, Current Opinion in Biomedical Engineering, vol 13 (2020), pp. A1-A2 [10.1016/j.cobme.2020.07.002] [abs].
- Lin, L; Xu, H; Bishawi, M; Feng, F; Samy, K; Truskey, G; Barbas, AS; Kirk, AD; Brennan, TV, Circulating mitochondria in organ donors promote allograft rejection., Am J Transplant, vol 19 no. 7 (2019), pp. 1917-1929 [10.1111/ajt.15309] [abs].
- Davis, BNJ; Santoso, JW; Walker, MJ; Oliver, CE; Cunningham, MM; Boehm, CA; Dawes, D; Lasater, SL; Huffman, K; Kraus, WE; Truskey, GA, Modeling the Effect of TNF-α upon Drug-Induced Toxicity in Human, Tissue-Engineered Myobundles., Ann Biomed Eng, vol 47 no. 7 (2019), pp. 1596-1610 [10.1007/s10439-019-02263-8] [abs].