Virginia Byers Kraus
Mary Bernheim Distinguished Professor of Medicine
My special area of expertise is as a clinician scientist investigating osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of joint disease in man and its incidence increases with age. It is a problem of increasing concern to the medical community due to the increasing longevity of the population. Trained as a molecular biologist and a Rheumatologist, I endeavor to study this disease from bedside to bench.
The work in this laboratory focuses on osteoarthritis and deals with the mechanisms of joint damage, and the discovery, validation and qualification of novel biochemical and genetic biomarkers for minimally invasive means of diagnosing disease, for predicting progression of disease, and for monitoring disease progression and response to therapy.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Mary Bernheim Distinguished Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Pathology
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member of Duke Molecular Physiology Institute
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Office Location: 300 N Duke St, Carmichael Building Room 15-205, Durham, NC 27701-2047
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6652
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Duke University, 1989
- Duke University, 1986
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1993
- M.D. Duke University, 1982
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Mary Bernheim Distinguished Professorship of the Duke School of Medicine. Duke University. 2021
- Elected Member. Association of American Physicians (AAP). 2019
- Lifetime Achievement Award . Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI). 2019
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate). University of Tampere, Finland . 2018
- Kappa Delta Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2015
- Medical Honors Society. AOA. 1982
- Honors Society. Sigma Xi. 1979
- PATHOL 293: Research Independent Study
- PATHOL 793: Research Independent Study
In the News
- New Blood Test is More Accurate in Identifying Osteoarthritis Progression (Jan 27, 2023 | Duke Health News)
- How Long Older Adults Will Live Comes Down to 17 Often Surprising Factors (Sep 30, 2022 | Duke Health News)
- Duke Awards 22 Distinguished Professorships (Jun 28, 2021)
- Humans Can't Replace Limbs, But We Can Regenerate Cartilage. Here's Why That Matters (Oct 9, 2019 | Duke Health News)
- Kraus, VB; Burnett, B; Coindreau, J; Cottrell, S; Eyre, D; Gendreau, M; Gardiner, J; Garnero, P; Hardin, J; Henrotin, Y; Heinegård, D; Ko, A; Lohmander, LS; Matthews, G; Menetski, J; Moskowitz, R; Persiani, S; Poole, AR; Rousseau, J-C; Todman, M; OARSI FDA Osteoarthritis Biomarkers Working Group,, Application of biomarkers in the development of drugs intended for the treatment of osteoarthritis., Osteoarthritis Cartilage, vol 19 no. 5 (2011), pp. 515-542 [10.1016/j.joca.2010.08.019] [abs].
- Kraus, VB, Osteoarthritis year 2010 in review: biochemical markers., Osteoarthritis Cartilage, vol 19 no. 4 (2011), pp. 346-353 [10.1016/j.joca.2011.02.002] [abs].
- Pells, JJ; Shelby, RA; Keefe, FJ; Dixon, KE; Blumenthal, JA; LaCaille, L; Tucker, JM; Schmitt, D; Caldwell, DS; Kraus, VB, Arthritis self-efficacy and self-efficacy for resisting eating: relationships to pain, disability, and eating behavior in overweight and obese individuals with osteoarthritic knee pain., Pain, vol 136 no. 3 (2008), pp. 340-347 [10.1016/j.pain.2007.07.012] [abs].
- Elliott, AL; Kraus, VB; Fang, F; Renner, JB; Schwartz, TA; Salazar, A; Huguenin, T; Hochberg, MC; Helmick, CG; Jordan, JM, Joint-specific hand symptoms and self-reported and performance-based functional status in African Americans and Caucasians: The Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project., Ann Rheum Dis, vol 66 no. 12 (2007), pp. 1622-1626 [10.1136/ard.2006.057422] [abs].
- Shamji, MF; Betre, H; Kraus, VB; Chen, J; Chilkoti, A; Pichika, R; Masuda, K; Setton, LA, Development and characterization of a fusion protein between thermally responsive elastin-like polypeptide and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist: sustained release of a local antiinflammatory therapeutic., Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol 56 no. 11 (2007), pp. 3650-3661 [10.1002/art.22952] [abs].
- Charles, HC; Kraus, VB; Ainslie, M; Hellio Le Graverand-Gastineau, M-P, Optimization of the fixed-flexion knee radiograph., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 11 (2007), pp. 1221-1224 [10.1016/j.joca.2007.05.012] [abs].
- Kraus, VB; Stabler, TV; Kong, SY; Varju, G; McDaniel, G, Measurement of synovial fluid volume using urea., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 10 (2007), pp. 1217-1220 [10.1016/j.joca.2007.03.017] [abs].
- Kraus, VB; Stabler, TV; Luta, G; Renner, JB; Dragomir, AD; Jordan, JM, Interpretation of serum C-reactive protein (CRP) levels for cardiovascular disease risk is complicated by race, pulmonary disease, body mass index, gender, and osteoarthritis., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 8 (2007), pp. 966-971 [10.1016/j.joca.2007.02.014] [abs].
- Allen, KD; DeVellis, RF; Renner, JB; Kraus, VB; Jordan, JM, Validity and factor structure of the AUSCAN Osteoarthritis Hand Index in a community-based sample., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 7 (2007), pp. 830-836 [10.1016/j.joca.2007.01.012] [abs].
- Huebner, JL; Seifer, DR; Kraus, VB, A longitudinal analysis of serum cytokines in the Hartley guinea pig model of osteoarthritis., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 3 (2007), pp. 354-356 [10.1016/j.joca.2006.10.014] [abs].
- Kraus, VB; Jordan, JM; Doherty, M; Wilson, AG; Moskowitz, R; Hochberg, M; Loeser, R; Hooper, M; Renner, JB; Crane, MM; Hastie, P; Sundseth, S; Atif, U, The Genetics of Generalized Osteoarthritis (GOGO) study: study design and evaluation of osteoarthritis phenotypes., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 15 no. 2 (2007), pp. 120-127 [10.1016/j.joca.2006.10.002] [abs].
- Huebner, JL; Kraus, VB, Assessment of the utility of biomarkers of osteoarthritis in the guinea pig., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 14 no. 9 (2006), pp. 923-930 [10.1016/j.joca.2006.03.007] [abs].
- Kong, SY; Stabler, TV; Criscione, LG; Elliott, AL; Jordan, JM; Kraus, VB, Diurnal variation of serum and urine biomarkers in patients with radiographic knee osteoarthritis., Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol 54 no. 8 (2006), pp. 2496-2504 [10.1002/art.21977] [abs].
- Bauer, DC; Hunter, DJ; Abramson, SB; Attur, M; Corr, M; Felson, D; Heinegård, D; Jordan, JM; Kepler, TB; Lane, NE; Saxne, T; Tyree, B; Kraus, VB; Osteoarthritis Biomarkers Network,, Classification of osteoarthritis biomarkers: a proposed approach., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 14 no. 8 (2006), pp. 723-727 [10.1016/j.joca.2006.04.001] [abs].
- Kraus, VB, Do biochemical markers have a role in osteoarthritis diagnosis and treatment?, Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology, vol 20 no. 1 (2006), pp. 69-80 [10.1016/j.berh.2005.09.001] [abs].
- Criscione, LG; Elliott, AL; Stabler, T; Jordan, JM; Pieper, CF; Kraus, VB, Variation of serum hyaluronan with activity in individuals with knee osteoarthritis., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 13 no. 9 (2005), pp. 837-840 [10.1016/j.joca.2005.05.004] [abs].
- Huebner, JL; Hanes, MA; Beekman, B; TeKoppele, JM; Kraus, VB, A comparative analysis of bone and cartilage metabolism in two strains of guinea-pig with varying degrees of naturally occurring osteoarthritis., Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol 10 no. 10 (2002), pp. 758-767 [10.1053/joca.2002.0821] [abs].
- Clark, AG; Rohrbaugh, AL; Otterness, I; Kraus, VB, The effects of ascorbic acid on cartilage metabolism in guinea pig articular cartilage explants., Matrix Biology : Journal of the International Society for Matrix Biology, vol 21 no. 2 (2002), pp. 175-184 [10.1016/s0945-053x(01)00193-7] [abs].
- Kraus, VB; Huebner, JL; Fink, C; King, JB; Brown, S; Vail, TP; Guilak, F, Urea as a passive transport marker for arthritis biomarker studies., Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol 46 no. 2 (2002), pp. 420-427 [10.1002/art.10124] [abs].