Amanda Elaine Hargrove
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Hargrove lab harnesses the unique properties of small organic molecules to study the structure, function and therapeutic potential of long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs). The discovery of these fascinating biomolecules has caused a paradigm shift in molecular biology and speculation as to their role as the master drivers of diseases such as cancer. At the same time very little is known about their structure and function, leading some to call the field a veritable “wild West.” Small molecules are the perfect tools for such exploration, and the Hargrove lab works at the interface of chemistry and biology, employing methods ranging from RNA-targeted small molecule synthesis and array-based pattern recognition to studies of the molecular and cellular biology of nucleic acids. Collaborations with the Department of Biology as well as colleagues in the School of Medicine ensure that these tools are applied to the most important unsolved problems in the fundamental biology and disease-related actions of long noncoding RNAs.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor in Biochemistry
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 3219 French Science Center, Box 90346, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1522
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- California Institute of Technology, 2013
- Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- B.S. Trinity University, 2004
- CHEM 201DL: Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 511: Chemistry of Biomolecular Interactions
- Ganser, LR; Kelly, ML; Patwardhan, NN; Hargrove, AE; Al-Hashimi, HM, Demonstration that Small Molecules can Bind and Stabilize Low-abundance Short-lived RNA Excited Conformational States., J Mol Biol (2019) [10.1016/j.jmb.2019.12.009] [abs].
- Hargrove, AE, The next 20 years of Medicinal Research Reviews., Medicinal Research Reviews (2019) [10.1002/med.21656] [abs].
- Morgan, BS; Sanaba, BG; Donlic, A; Karloff, DB; Forte, JE; Zhang, Y; Hargrove, AE, R-BIND: An Interactive Database for Exploring and Developing RNA-Targeted Chemical Probes., Acs Chemical Biology, vol 14 no. 12 (2019), pp. 2691-2700 [10.1021/acschembio.9b00631] [abs].
- Patwardhan, NN; Cai, Z; Umuhire Juru, A; Hargrove, AE, Driving factors in amiloride recognition of HIV RNA targets., Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, vol 17 no. 42 (2019), pp. 9313-9320 [10.1039/c9ob01702j] [abs].
- Wicks, SL; Hargrove, AE, Fluorescent indicator displacement assays to identify and characterize small molecule interactions with RNA., Methods (San Diego, Calif.), vol 167 (2019), pp. 3-14 [10.1016/j.ymeth.2019.04.018] [abs].