Amanda Elaine Hargrove
Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry
The Hargrove lab harnesses the unique properties of small organic molecules to study the structure, function and therapeutic potential of long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs). The discovery of these fascinating biomolecules has caused a paradigm shift in molecular biology and speculation as to their role as the master drivers of diseases such as cancer. At the same time very little is known about their structure and function, leading some to call the field a veritable “wild West.” Small molecules are the perfect tools for such exploration, and the Hargrove lab works at the interface of chemistry and biology, employing methods ranging from RNA-targeted small molecule synthesis and array-based pattern recognition to studies of the molecular and cellular biology of nucleic acids. Collaborations with the Department of Biology as well as colleagues in the School of Medicine ensure that these tools are applied to the most important unsolved problems in the fundamental biology and disease-related actions of long noncoding RNAs.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor in Biochemistry
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 3219 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1522
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- California Institute of Technology, 2013
- Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- B.S. Trinity University, 2004
- CHEM 201DL: Organic Chemistry
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 511: Chemistry of Biomolecular Interactions
- Eubanks, CS; Forte, JE; Kapral, GJ; Hargrove, AE, Small Molecule-Based Pattern Recognition To Classify RNA Structure., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 139 no. 1 (2017), pp. 409-416 [10.1021/jacs.6b11087] [abs].
- McFadden, EJ; Hargrove, AE, Biochemical Methods To Investigate lncRNA and the Influence of lncRNA:Protein Complexes on Chromatin., Biochemistry, vol 55 no. 11 (2016), pp. 1615-1630 [10.1021/acs.biochem.5b01141] [abs].
- Hargrove, AE; Martinez, TF; Hare, AA; Kurmis, AA; Phillips, JW; Sud, S; Pienta, KJ; Dervan, PB, Tumor Repression of VCaP Xenografts by a Pyrrole-Imidazole Polyamide, PloS one, vol 10 no. 11 (2015), pp. e0143161-e0143161 [10.1371/journal.pone.0143161] [abs].
- Burg, JM; Link, JE; Morgan, BS; Heller, FJ; Hargrove, AE; McCafferty, DG, KDM1 class flavin-dependent protein lysine demethylases., Biopolymers, vol 104 no. 4 (2015), pp. 213-246 [10.1002/bip.22643] [abs].
- Morgan, BS; Hargrove, AE, Synthetic receptors for oligonucleotides and nucleic acids, Monographs in Supramolecular Chemistry, vol 2015-January no. 14 (2015), pp. 253-325 [abs].