Michael C. Fitzgerald
Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Fitzgerald’s research group is focused on studies of protein folding and function. The group utilizes a combination of covalent labeling strategies (e.g. protein amide H/D exchange and methionine oxidiation) and mass spectrometry techniques to investigate the thermodynamic properties of protein folding and ligand binding reactions. Current research efforts involve: (1) the development new biophysical methods that enable protein folding and stability measurements to be performed on the proteomic scale; and (2) the application of these new methods in the areas of disease detection, diagnosis, and therapy.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Biochemistry
- Office Location: 3222 French Science Center, 124 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1547
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1994
- B.S. Davidson College, 1989
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers. President of the United States of America. 2001
- BIOCHEM 593: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 401: Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 401L: Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 506: Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry
- CHEM 701S: Research Orientation Seminar
- CHEM 801: Research
- Ogburn, RN; Randall, TA; Xu, Y; Roberts, JH; Mebrahtu, B; Karnuta, JM; Rider, SD; Kissling, GE; London, RE; Pomés, A; Arlian, L; Fitzgerald, MC; Mueller, GA, Are dust mite allergens more abundant and/or more stable than other Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus proteins?, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol 139 no. 3 (2017), pp. 1030-1032.e1 [10.1016/j.jaci.2016.08.016] [abs].
- Roberts, JH; Liu, F; Karnuta, JM; Fitzgerald, MC, Discovery of Age-Related Protein Folding Stability Differences in the Mouse Brain Proteome., Journal of Proteome Research, vol 15 no. 12 (2016), pp. 4731-4741 [10.1021/acs.jproteome.6b00927] [abs].
- Liu, F; Fitzgerald, MC, Large-Scale Analysis of Breast Cancer-Related Conformational Changes in Proteins Using Limited Proteolysis., Journal of Proteome Research, vol 15 no. 12 (2016), pp. 4666-4674 [10.1021/acs.jproteome.6b00755] [abs].
- Jin, L; Wang, D; Gooden, DM; Ball, CH; Fitzgerald, MC, Targeted Mass Spectrometry-Based Approach for Protein-Ligand Binding Analyses in Complex Biological Mixtures Using a Phenacyl Bromide Modification Strategy., Analytical Chemistry, vol 88 no. 22 (2016), pp. 10987-10993 [10.1021/acs.analchem.6b02658] [abs].
- Xu, Y; Wallace, MAG; Fitzgerald, MC, Thermodynamic Analysis of the Geldanamycin-Hsp90 Interaction in a Whole Cell Lysate Using a Mass Spectrometry-Based Proteomics Approach., Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol 27 no. 10 (2016), pp. 1670-1676 [10.1007/s13361-016-1457-2] [abs].