Emily Rose Derbyshire
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Derbyshire Lab uses both chemical tools and biological methods to uncover novel aspects of malaria parasite biology with the ultimate aim of identifying druggable targets. Projects range from developing assays for phenotypic and target-based screens to exploring biological pathways and identifying small molecules with potential therapeutic value. Their interdisciplinary collaborative program integrates chemical biology, molecular biology and biochemistry to globally interrogate parasite biology.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Office Location: 3218 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1511
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Harvard Medical School, 2014
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 2008
- B.S. Trinity College, 2002
- CHEM 89S: First-Year Seminar
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 517: Molecules in Life and Disease
- MGM 293: Research Independent Study I
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 693: Research Independent Study in Science Education
- D'Ambrosio, HK; Derbyshire, ER, Investigating the Role of Class I Adenylate-Forming Enzymes in Natural Product Biosynthesis., Acs Chemical Biology, vol 15 no. 1 (2020), pp. 17-27 [10.1021/acschembio.9b00865] [abs].
- Ganley, JG; D'Ambrosio, HK; Shieh, M; Derbyshire, ER, Coculturing of Mosquito-Microbiome Bacteria Promotes Heme Degradation in Elizabethkingia anophelis., Chembiochem : a European Journal of Chemical Biology (2019) [10.1002/cbic.201900675] [abs].
- Raphemot, R; Toro-Moreno, M; Lu, K-Y; Posfai, D; Derbyshire, ER, Discovery of Druggable Host Factors Critical to Plasmodium Liver-Stage Infection., Cell Chemical Biology, vol 26 no. 9 (2019), pp. 1253-1262.e5 [10.1016/j.chembiol.2019.05.011] [abs].
- Szamosvári, D; Sylvester, K; Schmid, P; Lu, K-Y; Derbyshire, ER; Böttcher, T, Close the ring to break the cycle: tandem quinolone-alkyne-cyclisation gives access to tricyclic pyrrolo[1,2-a]quinolin-5-ones with potent anti-protozoal activity., Chemical Communications, vol 55 no. 49 (2019), pp. 7009-7012 [10.1039/c9cc01689a] [abs].
- Lee, H; Sylvester, K; Derbyshire, ER; Hong, J, Synthesis and Analysis of Natural-Product-Like Macrocycles by Tandem Oxidation/Oxa-Conjugate Addition Reactions., Chemistry (Weinheim an Der Bergstrasse, Germany), vol 25 no. 26 (2019), pp. 6500-6504 [10.1002/chem.201900620] [abs].